Care for Caregiver Resources

Unemployment Insurance Agency – State of Michigan
Unemployment Insurance Benefits

If your spouse becomes unemployed, they may qualify for unemployment insurance benefits. These benefits are intended to provide temporary income as they seek new employment. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, a person must be unemployed and able to, available for, and actively seeking suitable full-time work.

For information on how to file for and receive benefits, visit

Michigan Dept. of Health & Human Services
State Emergency Relief – Home, Utilities & Burial Expenses

Immediate help may be available if you are facing conditions of extreme hardship or emergencies threatening your health and safety. State Emergency Relief and the Weatherization Assistance Program combine financial assistance and contracts with a network of nonprofit organizations to help low-income households.

For information on how to apply for state emergency relief...

2-1-1 Central Michigan
Community Assistance

Central Michigan 2-1-1 connects people in need to health and human service resources in the community. Through an easy to remember number, available 24/7, 365 days within 9 counties in Central Michigan: Clinton, Eaton, Genesee, Hillsdale, Ingham, Jackson, Lenawee, Livingston, and Shiawassee counties. Specialists provide information, referrals, navigation, and advocacy when people are looking for help or to give help in the community.

To get help, or for more information, call 211 or visit

UM Health-Sparrow Employee Assistance Program (EAP
24/7 Access to Support, Resources & Information

Through the UM Health-Sparrow Employee Assistance Program, caregivers have 24/7 access to a wide range of professional assistance – at no cost. Services include confidential emotional support, work-life solutions, legal guidance, financial resources, online support, and free online will preparation.


Contact EAP anytime, anywhere. Click on the Employee Assistance Program app in My UM Health-Sparrow Applications or call 877.595.5284.

The Heat and Warmth Fund – THAW
Health, Electricity and Water Bills Assistance

As an independent, non-profit organization, THAW distributes assistance to vulnerable Michigan residents through 39 agency partners and a series of annual mobile processing events. THAW works with agencies across Michigan to provide emergency energy and utility help to households facing financial difficulties.

To get help, visit or call 1.800.866.THAW (8429).

Consumers Energy CARE Program

If you need assistance managing your energy bill, the Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy (CARE) Program may be able to help. CARE is a 24-month affordable payment plan that helps you stay on top of your energy bills.

For more information, and to determine your eligibility...

Additional Resources