Caregiver with patient using walker

Transitional Care Services

What is a transitional care (swing) bed?

UM Health-Sparrow Transitional Care Program (formally called Swing Bed) allows patients to stay in the hospital setting and receive the necessary skilled nursing and rehabilitative services instead of transferring to a nursing home or another facility. Our team will work together with patients and their family to develop a personized plan of care which will provide the services needed to prepare them for their return home.

Transitional Care services allow patients to receive the continued care they need while recovering from an illness, injury, or surgery.

Key features

The benefits of our hospital-based program is our ability to provide immediate on sight resources such as:

  • Nursing
  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Respiratory Therapy
  • Speech Therapy
  • Nutrition Services
  • Pharmacy
  • Social Work
  • Transfusion Services
  • Wound Care

How do patients benefit from transitional care?

Transitional care services can help patients who need skilled nursing and rehabilitation for:

  • Long-term IV antibiotics
  • Wound care
  • Rehabilitation after surgery
  • Therapy after a stroke, accident, or injury
  • Rehab or skilled care after a recent hospitalization

We are here to help you

When a patient’s goals are met, we make the transition to home or to the next level of care easier for them and their families. As a patient leaves a transitional care bed, help may include:

  • Arranging in-home care if needed
  • Helping find alternative living arrangements
  • Coordinating community services
  • Providing guidance and recommendations for home medical equipment and supplies (shower bench, walker, wheelchair, etc.)

Why choose UM Health-Sparrow Transitional Care Program?

UM Health-Sparrow Transitional Care Program provides excellent service to meet your individual needs. This includes a superior nurse to patient ratio and a shorter length of stay as compared to other community rehabilitation facilities.

Does insurance cover transitional care services?

In most cases insurance covers transitional care services, this includes Medicare and other private health insurance providers. Our team will verify your individual coverage prior to your admission. Self-pay is also an option.

Helping you find your way.

UM Health-Sparrow Health can provide rehabilitation and skilled nursing care, even if your hospital stay was elsewhere.